Hello and a happy Tuesday to all! Tuesdays have always been my least favourite day of the week, ever since my Mum used to work on Tuesday afternoons when we were kids. I hated her not being there when we got home from school and not being around for dinner time. Yes, I was spoilt!
Now I just don’t like Tuesdays because, well, Tuesdays but actually my playgroup meets on Tuesday afternoons in Hong Kong and we do enjoy that, so as a day it’s looking up. Today is also made brighter by the fact that I baked one of my Mum’s famous banana cakes yesterday and I’ve just had two slices for lunch. I know, I’m making excellent lunch choices.
My Mum’s banana cake is famous because it’s generally awesome, but two things really make it a stand out – it is lovely and dark and moist, and it has a very distinct chocolate-coffee icing. Those who’ve never tried it will always question the icing choice only to always turn around 60 seconds later and proclaim it outstanding.
So, I thought I would share this family secret with you as it is so easy, it’s the perfect way to get rid of those bananas that blacken within 24 hours in hot Hong Kong kitchens.
Mum’s Banana Cake
- 60g butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 TBSP milk
For the icing…
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP cocoa (roughly…I never measure it)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixture until smooth. Add beaten egg.
- Add mashed bananas one at a time.
- Fold through dry ingredients. Lastly, mix through the milk.
- Place mixture in a greased 20cm round tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, mix the instant coffee and water together to form a paste before adding the dry ingredients and a dash of milk. You may need to add more milk or sugar to achieve the right consistency.
- Enjoy with a nice hot cup of tea!
This is really one of my favourite cake recipes ever and I just can’t enjoy other banana cakes having grown up on this. Great for brightening up Tuesdays or sharing on a weekend!
What’s your least favourite day of the week?